2013 SkS Weekly Digest #40
Posted on 6 October 2013 by John Hartz
Dana continues to expertly slice and dice the phoney baloney being served by prominent climate deniers in IPCC model global warming projections have done much better than you think and Why Curry, McIntyre, and Co. are Still Wrong about IPCC Climate Model Accuracy. As to be expected, both garnered the most comments of the articles posted this past week.
Toon of the Week
Quote of the Week
"We have simply one goal and one objective and we always have, which is to take the science, the economics of climate change and what's happening internationally in terms of action and present it in a clear and understandable and authoritative way to the Australian public," he (Tim Flannery) said.
SkS Week in Review
- 2013 SkS Weekly News Roundup #40B by John Hartz
- Why Curry, McIntyre, and Co. are Still Wrong about IPCC Climate Model Accuracy by Dana
- Residence Time and Prof Essenhigh by Glenton Jelbert
- Lawson, Climate Change and the Power of Wishful Thinking by gpwayne
- 2013 SkS Weekly News Roundup #40A by John Hartz
- IPCC model global warming projections have done much better than you think by Dana
- Public talk explaining our consensus paper & answering critics by John Cook
SkS Rebuttal Article Updated
Dana's article, IPCC model global warming projections have done much better than you think has been incorporated into the rebuttal to the myth IPCC global warmingprojections were wrong and added to the SkS debunkings of the most popular myths about the IPCC.
Coming Soon on SkS
- SkS social experiment: using comment ratings to help moderation (Sphaerica)
- The components of Earth's Climate System: a primer (John Mason)
- 2013 SkS Weekly News Roundup #41A (John Hartz
- Why climate change contrarians owe us a (scientific) explanation (gpwayne)
- Two degrees: how we imagine climate change (David Holmes)
- Global warming – a world of extremes and biological hotspots (John Abraham)
- Time to change how the IPCC reports? (Kevin Trenbeth)
- Double Standard on Internal Variability (tamino)
In the Works
- What the new IPCC report says about sea level rise (Freya Roberts)
- Why trust climate models? It’s a matter of simple science (Scott K Johnson)
- The 2012 State of the Climate is easily misunderstood (MarkR)
- How did Ancient Coral Survive in a High CO2 World? (Rob Painting)
- Moncking up the Numbers (Rob Honeycutt)
- The Sun Has Cooled, So Why Are The Deep Oceans Warming? (Rob Painting)
SkS in the News
The Cook et al. (2013) consensus paper was cited by Hoffman et al. (2013).
In an interview with NBC News, Phil Plait also endorsed SkS as a top climate myth debunking resource.
KXAN TV used the Escalator and referenced other SkS resources.
Media Matters referenced the SkS debunking of the myth that the IPCC is alarmist.
CAS 4+U referenced Dana's The 5 stages of climate denial are on display ahead of the IPCC report.
In his Bad Astromomy blog post on Slate, Phil Plait expertly takes on a wide variety of science issues including climate change. Plait's recently posted articles on climate change:
- Climate Change: It’s Real, and It’s Us
- The Climate Change Denial Machine Is Going Up to 11
- As Climate Change Report Draws Near, Deniers Raise Voices, Bury Heads Deeper
Plait is an astronomer, lecturer, and author. His latest book is Death from the Skies! These Are the Ways the Universe Will End